Implications of COVID-19 on flight arrivals in Berlin
- Investigation of pandemic-related changes in Berlin flight arrivals
- Examining flight arrivals in the context of infections and the stringency index.
- 01/2019 – 08/2021
- Quantitative analysis of the "OpenSky Covid Dataset", RKI infection data and the Oxford Stringency Index.
- Arrivals to Berlin Arrivals collapse massively with start of pandemic and first lockdown
- Over the course of 2020, there was a slight stabilization of flight volumes
- With infections on the rise and the second lockdown in winter 2022/23, air traffic plummeted again
This figure shows the absolute amount of flight arrivals at Berlin airports between January 2020 and October 2022.
Datasets used for this analysis:
Robert Koch-Institut (RKI) COVID-19 Dashboard